Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sing, sing a song!

Open, shut them, Open, shut them, Give a little clap, clap, clap.
Open, shut them, Open, shut them,
Put them in you lap, lap, lap.
Creep them, crawl them, creep them, crawl them,
Right up to your chin, chin, chin
Open wide your little mouth
But do not put them in, in. in.

tappe tappe tappe
pique pique pique
roule roule roule
mange, mange, mange
cache cache cache
coucou!

When I started this whole parenting thing, maybe my brain was fried. The only nursery rhymes I could remember were Itsy Bitsy Spider and Old Macdonald Had A Farm. Poor Alex had to hear those and Christmas songs over and over again. He didn't seem to mind. There were even a couple of weeks where I couldn't get Lily Allen out of my head, and would sing that to him "good dancer love but you should have worn a bra".
 To entertain myself I started making up songs as I walked around the house with Alex, while I changed his diaper. Kitties in the Bed, Little Baby Alex, Baloo Balloon songs. Oh yeah, I'm the Taylor Swift of baby songs.

I never used to sing, rarely listened to music. Music was a distraction while I was on the Elliptical, or running, something to keep me company at work.  This little person of mine seems to love when I sing to him, loves hearing music. He grabs my hands, pushing my hands together to make me clap. This is the first sign he's conveyed to me (I'm doing baby signs with him).

I figured that I should get some kids music so Alex wouldn't learn any bad words from the Beastie Boys. Problem is, most kids music sucks. Seriously. I have a friend who happily listens to the Wiggles all day. I don't think I can do it. There must be a happy medium!
I do have a new found appreciation of music. I may be a terrible singer, but hopefully growing some brain cells.



This was the only song that would soothe Alex when he had a bad cold. I love this version of the song. (This was the only "video" I could find)

1 comment:

Zannah said...

Hi! I'm here on Spokeit's orders, and we all know it's better to do what she says. :)

Your post about the friend who lost her baby nearly made me cry. I hope you saw her and hugged her and will be able to keep in touch. I hope she'll be able to keep in touch. The whole thing makes me want to cry. What a terrible thing to go through.

I'm with you on kids music. If it didn't come from Sesame Street (and I mean old school Sesame Street), it's terrible. That music was probably terrible, too, but it holds sentimental value to me. :)

Post a Comment