Monday, June 21, 2010

On the mend

Miss Molly had a dolly who was sick, sick, sick
So she called for the doctor to come quick, quick, quick
The doctor came with his bag and his hat
And he knocked on the door with a rat-a-tat-tat
He looked at the dolly and he shook his head
And he said "Miss Molly put her straight to bed"
He wrote on some paper for a pill, pill, pill
"I'll be back in the morning with my bill, bill, bill."

I woke up Friday morning to a very hot baby. He was feverish and pretty crabby. I gave him something for his fever and hoped for the best. His crabbiness went away but I just couldn't get him to sleep. He had been up a couple of hours straight the night before (a regular occurrence for him so I didn't think anything of it) so I really needed him to nap. So I could nap too. By 4pm there was still no napping, he was miserable and I was exhausted. I took him out in the stroller because that always does the trick (I gave up on my nap), He napped for about an hour. He was in slightly better spirits.
Then the no sleeping continued. He finally fell asleep around midnight after numerous attempts and tricks to get him to sleep. He slept for 45 minutes the woke up again. It took me another 30 minutes to get him back to sleep. This sleeping in 45 minute intervals lasted all night. All. Night. Sleeping only 45 minutes at a time does some crazy stuff to your brain. I think I was thisclose to seeing magic pixies dancing around my head as they chanted "no sleep!". Saturday was only slightly better with a 2 hour nap the entire day. He fell asleep at 11 and woke up, yep, you guessed it at 11:45.

 We took him to the Children's hospital, but he was only seen by the triage nurse (nice lady, but needs to pop a mint her mouth after her cigarette break). She said it might be an ear infection. I asked her how long the wait would be. She was honest and said it would be long and we'd be better off going home. So we left and even at 3am still didn't fall asleep on the way home. Rick drove up and down on a small expressway near our house. Alex fell asleep almost right away. Ahhh!

I went to the clinic near my house on Sunday and he was seen by a doctor right away since we were the only ones there. No ear infection but his throat is infected.

Last night was a decent night sleep wise. It's funny, all I need is a ok night of sleep to bounce back. Yes still tired, but no taunting pixies. Alex is much less clingy today and even went down the baby slide on his own at the park. Nothing like a little park therapy to make everything better.