Friday, May 14, 2010

Cake Fail (or Strawberry Shortcake Went on a Bender Cake)

So last Sunday I attempted a Strawberry Shortcake type cake for my Mother-in-Law. I baked the cake the day before. I figured I would have plenty of time to decorate it the next day. Yeah, I was wrong. I had the not so brilliant idea to make strawberry icing for the center layer. So I added some berries to a regular icing recipe that would be a small batch.The strawberries were too runny, since I had cut them up the night before. I tried to drain the juice. I figured ok, just add more icing sugar, it will thicken up. A kilo of icing sugar later (2.2lbs of sugar for my American friends) it was still a little runny. Raaaaats. I was running out of time and ran out of icing sugar to make the buttercream frosting for the outside. I slapped the pink goo in between the cake layers, and set off to the grocery store while Alex napped in the carrier on daddy. I knew I had little time left before we had to be at my mother-in-law's place so I caved and bought a container of pre made icing. Well actually 2 of them (I couldn't remember which brand has the nasty aftertaste, so I bought a Duncan Hines and a Betty Crocker container). I hurried home and slapped the icing on as fast as I could. Le sigh. Not at all what I had in mind.


The radioactive Pepto Bismol icing. A whole whack of it.


What I should have done in the first place. Strawberries on the icing, not IN the icing.


Mistake #2. I should have let the cut cake side soak up the juice. Instead it oozed out of a couple of sinkholes on the side.



The final product. It looks meh. Martha Stewart is rolling her eyes at me.

P.S. Duncan Hines is the better tasting icing, if you're pathetic like me and can't master frosting.