Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to?

Oh who knew a first birthday party could be so stressful! Some family and a naked baby eating cake right? Sigh, if it were only that easy. My mother-in-law insists on holding birthdays parties for everyone in the family, which up until recently was mostly adults (Alex's youngest cousin on that side is 20 years old), sitting around, some gifts, mosrly gift cards, cake and Coke (no tea or coffee, only soda). This to me is not a party. Twelve times a year, this would occur for everyone's birthday.

Now the problem is, my MIL expects me to do the same for Alex. I want something a little more special for him. Problem #2 is lack of space; my tiny apartment can't hold more than 4 adults. I want to have a party in the park near our house. My MIL seems to think it's "too risky to have something outside", yet she suggested having the party "up at the country". The country being a trailer park where she spends her summers, next to a busy road, where the locals include drunken old guys and plump, leather skinned ladies padding around in gold bikinis and swampy water you can't swim in.  Uh, yeah, no thanks.

I'm thinking a small something on the day of, and then she can have whatever hoopla she wants at her house. It bites that I can't have the party I want for him....I know I know, he won't remember it anyway.


Alex loves the cats,
 maybe I can make him a nice Kitty Litter Cake


Or nothing says first birthday like a Chuck Norris cake



Or a Zombie Kiwi Robot Cake?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just one word of advice - do NOT cave to other peoples preferences on the first birthday no matter how stressful it is! You are setting up the pattern for the rest of the birthdays! You the mama now, you get to start your own damn traditions. Invite who you want, do what you want and stick to your guns lady! Your baby, your family, your rules!!! FIGHT THE POWER OF INTERFERING FRIENDS AND FAMILY!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I was going to come here and say what Cynthia said...but much less eloquently. DO WHAT YOU WANT. Alex deserves a fun party!! Trailer parks and swampy water do not a first birthday party make.

Also- there's never a party where Chuck Norris isn't welcome.

Post a Comment