Thursday, November 4, 2010

Dipping my toes back into the hot water

So, as a stay at home mom I rarely get a break. I don't have days off, lunch breaks, or even time to pee without an audience. As kind of an experiment, and to get that much needed break, I went back to work. One day a week. I work on the weekend so my husband can watch Alex and I don't have to worry about finding childcare. Alex also benefits, getting a whole day of daddy time. Not every kid gets that on a regular basis (sadly).

It's funny how most of the regular customers haven't even noticed that I left. I worked there for 6 years before having Alex but I haven't been there in 18 months. The ones that have noticed though seem pretty excited to have me back. I work in a very tiny neighbourhood toy store, where for the longest time there were three people working there. The owner (occasionally), the manager and myself. My specialty at the store was knowing all of the regulars (and there's a lot of them). I remember their names, their kids and there preferences. I was good at my job. Going back made me realise that.

 I also know that I don't think I could go back full time. I jumped back in right in the middle of the craziness that is the Christmas rush. Boxes everywhere, piled to the ceiling in the basement. I have no clue where anything is, don't know what's on order or what games we have for a very advanced five year old (oh and everyone thinks their kid is ADVANCED). The chaotic work is something I really don't miss. It's the chaos that sucked me back in though...

Rick and I had gone for a walk and we walked by the toy store, we noticed it was closed and there were boxes from a delivery piled in front of the store. I went to see the owner at her other store across the street to let her know. Someone didn't show up to work that day. She opened the store, and we continued with our walk. Rick and I discussed if I would want to go back to work part time. I didn't know it was an option. On our way back home, we stopped in the store, to see what had happened. The owner was in a panic when we got there. It was the manager who hadn't come in, there was a mix up and she thought it was her day off. The owner said she needed to get back to the other store for an important client. She asked "could you watch the store until the manager comes in?". Seriously? Seriously. (I'm still shaking my head at that one). So husband walked around with Alex while I manned the fort. I worked for half an hour and Alex got a new toy out of the deal.

...and so, for now, I'm a SAHM, toy expert, and someone who gets to pee in peace one day a week.

With Mrs. FisherCat at one of the Calico Critters play dates at the store.
Yes, this is what I did for a living.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You look so cute in that picture! You seem to be enjoying the one day break, are you? I'm sure Alex loves having a Daddy day!

Post a Comment