Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ok, I have a confession to make...

 So I have this one compulsion. It's really quite harmless and doesn't affect my daily life. I am not crazy. I just have to look in other people's cupboards.

I go over to someone's house and all I want to do is look in their cupboards. I'm not looking for anything in particular I just want a look-see.  I try not to but I can't help myself. If I'm in this kitchen that does not belong to me and the owner of said kitchen says help yourself to whatever I need, I cheer in my head. Yes! As I do a mental touchdown dance. Permission to peek!

I act as though I'm looking for a glass as I open all the doors and quickly glance at the contents. So illicit. So naughty. It's like peeking in people's windows in the evening (not that I do that either!). You can tell a lot about a person by the contents of their cupboards. You can tell how organized they are, what they eat, are they tea drinkers or prefer wine.

My neighbour is out of town for a month and she's asked me to pick up her mail for her. I'm thinking I'll have to peek in the cupboards when I drop off the mail. Is that wrong?

Apparently this is a genetic condition. My sister has it too. She's more blatant about it than I am. I guess I have a milder version of it. We can't figure out where we got this from. We can't remember our mom ever peeking in kitchen like that (although we did have a substantial collection of cultery from a certain Canadian airline, and a full set of Ponderosa glasses).
Is it kitchen envy? Just being nosy? A harmless curiosity?

Oh hello there! (mmmm IKEA)